I’ve tried a few carrot cake recipes in the past – none to much success as they have either turned out to be too dry or ridiculously moist. After my last failed attempt a couple of years ago, however, my boyfriend’s mum passed on this fantastic recipe to me. It’s simple to make and is a hit every single time.
So, on this wet Bank Holiday Monday (well, it’s wet here – hopefully, you’re having more luck on the weather front as you read this!) I’ve decided to make this delicious cake once again and thought the recipe was well worth sharing with others! Enjoy x
(Please note, this recipe was passed on to me using ounces instead of grams, but this can easily be converted).
- 4oz grated carrot
- 4oz chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tin crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 6oz caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 fl oz oil (I use sunflower oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 6oz icing sugar
- 3oz butter
- 3oz soft cheese (Philadelphia, preferably)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Grate carrot, chop walnuts small, drain pineapple well, add lemon juice.
- Mix dry ingredients together, beat in oil and eggs, add carrot mixture.
- Grease and flour an 8″ cake tin and cook for 90 minutes, gas mark 3. (If using a fan-assisted oven, cook for 60 – 70 minutes on 130ºC).
- Allow cake to cool before turning out onto rack.
- Beat butter, soft cheese and icing sugar together and spread on top of cake.